Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's wrong with this picture?


What is wrong with the picture above? Actually nothing. The problem is me! I have officially changed. Perhaps for the better, but I just don't recognize myself anymore. I find myself eating things I use to turn my nose up at. Even worse, I've almost turned into that quintessential Austonian that I used to dread! A super healthy person that can't enjoy fattening food. EEEK!

Let me tell you people! I had a strenuous work-out with my friend, Becca yesterday. We did a 1 hour, power-lifting class that left me exhausted. Even worse, the teacher was 3 months preggers teaching the class! (She is literally the 3rd teacher in 2 months that has taught a class pregnant. That pretty much means no excuses for me not to take the class.) It was a packed class and the teacher was pumped. She was pretty intense and hardcore, but in a good way. She even told us all to smile at her, even if they're fake. Mine definitely was because I was in some pain. It was fun though. Since I was in sooo much pain, I thought I'd reward myself with food! HELLO old self! Yes, the old Myrna loved to reward herself for jobs well done and major accomplishments. I swear, I thought she was still in there somewhere.

Fast forward to 30 minutes later where I found myself in Central Market. A chef and food lover's paradise. I hadn't eaten in a few hours and was famished. Without thinking I automatically got some pork tamales and mac and cheese. They were in the hot case and ready to eat. I also got salad because I was "forcing" myself to eat greens with lentils. Boy was I wrong. When I got home I took one bite of the mac and cheese and it felt greasy and icky. I took a bite of the tamale and same thing. To my surprise I was loving the salad. Didn't eat the rest of the other stuff. I was happy and sad. Happy that I officially made a life-style change. This was the moment where it all sank in and sad that I really closed a chapter in the history of me book.(sigh) I have come a very long way. I have officially lost 20 lbs and I look back at pictures and can't believed I used to over indulge so often.

I only pray I don't become one of those annoying, know-it-alls who preach about health, fitness and balancing food groups. Am I that person already? Everything in balance I suppose. I do still crave chocolate and doubt that love affair will ever end;however I realize now I don't have to eat the whole bar. More importantly, I officially don't have the desire to any longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry, that's not you. Everything in the Central Market hot case is greasy. Same thing with anything breaded that's in the cold case at the counter too. Pro-tip: Reheat it on a paper towel to soak up some of it. It's mostly butter and olive oil, but still...bleech.